Friday, March 4, 2011

Slow and slower

To be brief I am having trouble finishing. I have only read a few pages since my last post and I have been off on a reading tear with other things that are directed toward learning to write, in particular learning to write dialogue between characters. I still can't get over how many times, in the modern 20th or 21st century novel (genre based albeit) you need to write "he said" or "she said" - such a burden compared to Proust.

I still have not found anything better than Melville to compare to Proust, not Dickens, or Dostoevsky, or Turgenev, or Tolstoy. I keep searching and have not found anything as readable or as ironic.

Proust is really ripping the cover off of the plot now and giving us the complete and unalterable truth, this is the true heart of this book - this is the true and unforgiving expose of what is happening all comments about the actual plot aside this is Proust's real effort; to show us how we remember and what memory does to thought and what thought does to time. Quotes to follow to support this opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment