Friday, March 4, 2011

Changing the blog as I finish Proust

I think this will become my reading blog, as I finish Proust. With that said, I have a comment on the books I have been plowing through - to improve my writing and to enjoy at work. I have been reading Robert B. Parker and Dick Francis, along with a few other things. I have been reading electronic copies of Parker, and used paperbacks of Francis. Other than the obvious, that I personally enjoy reading on the computer over a book format, I have found the cut-off point that delineates Parker's writing. He, Parker, reached a certain point when his writing and plotting did change. Though there are still a few good books sprinkled amidst the remaining Spenser novels, after 1985, and the book _A Catskill Eagle_, his writing took on a much simpler tone, dialogue driven, and much more written to a developing format that would be often repeated (sometimes ad nauseum). Here is a list, courtesy of the fine Mystery genre website stop, you're killing me of the titles in the Spenser series up to the cut-off point:

The Godwulf Manuscript (1973)

God Save the Child (1974)

Mortal Stakes (1975)

Promised Land (1976)
1977 Edgar Award for Best Mystery

The Judas Goat (1978)

Looking for Rachel Wallace (1980)

Early Autumn (1981)
Finalist 1982 Shamus Award for Best Novel

A Savage Place (1981)

Ceremony (1982)
Finalist 1983 Shamus Award for Best Novel

The Widening Gyre (1983)
Finalist 1984 Shamus Award for Best Novel

Valediction (1984)

A Catskill Eagle (1985)
Finalist 1986 Shamus Award for Best Novel

I have just finished _Valediction_ and hope to download _A Catskill Eagle_ today. I will continue to explore the books, but I doubt I will download many more beyond this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment